Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two years later...

and we finally finished painting our garage door! There are a few people in this world who realize what an accomplishment this is for us. We have many projects that are only 50% complete, but we are slowly making progress. Now, before you take a peek at the door, you must know how it came to be and the irony that exists with the finished product.

When we bought this house (2 years ago this week) there were all kinds of treasures to be had for someone in love with the 70's. Maybe I'll post pics of all those sometime :) Anyway, the garage door had a diamond-shaped stained glass in it and the kitchen door (which we removed for space sake) had a "beautiful" tree motif stained glass window. Unlike other friends and Grant, I was not particularly fond of this "Tree of Life" door. Did you give it this name, Leslie?! Well someone did, and it stuck. The door has been in hiding for 2 years because we weren't using it and quite honestly I never planned to.

So, Grant began his project this week of stripping the door, removing the diamond glass stained window, etc. And to make a long and dramatic story short, during the re-do process, Grant tripped over the stained glass and crushed it, rendering it useless.

Now, do you see where this is going? If you guessed that the "Tree of Life" window is now being used and adored then you are right. How's that for karma! But I'll have to say, I'm sorry I ever made fun of that window because I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. What do you think?

Here's the door before, garage view and inside house view.



Inside view after Grant shattered the window. I still can't believe it took us this long to re-do this thing! As you can see, we painted inside the house around the door, but somehow never reached the door itself. :) Don't miss the 2-tone quality... brown when you come in and primer white as you leave! (Yep, this is the main door for the house)



And the finished product with our "Tree of Life"



Not too shabby with the sunlight, right?



4 comments:

  1. Oh Mandy, I love trees (they are so symbolic!) and I am in LOVE with your window! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandi it looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Tree of Life!!!!!!!!!! (and won't say i told you so because that isn't nice)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The window is beautiful! It was so good getting to see you yesterday. Thanks for making the brunch special for me and my baby!

    ReplyDelete