Thursday, June 4, 2009

Game on

I don't know how it happened, but somehow Grant and I found ourselves engaged in the Belizean favorite, game of "Slaps" tonight.


Yes, this game dates back to the ages, as seen in this picture of Jonathan Jerkins and Grant Burke in Belize. Possibly 1997?
(Excuse the quality. We don't have a scanner)


For those of you unfamiliar with this game, let me explain. It involves two people standing face-to-face with hands positioned in a "stop" fashion, ready to slap hands together in hopes of throwing one's opponent of his/her feet and thus, becoming victorious. I might add that in the past, this has turned into " Ok, best of three" or "best of ten". When I was in Belize, this game would last forever.

And in tonight's match-up, let it be known that I dominated. But because I was victorious SO many times, Grant thought I might be cheating. Thus, our debate of the rules.

So the questions I pose to all you who love Belize and this game are:

1. What if one person loses his/her balance and begins to fall forward, but feet have not left the ground and one's opponent moves first. Who's out? (Grant votes the one who initiated movement first).
2. Is one disqualified for reaching forward with all his/her might and accidentally pushing the chest vs the person's hands even though the opponent still moved his/her feet first?
3. Is there a rule stated, " You are pushing too hard." (because this was Grant's comment each time he fell.)
4. What exactly are the formal rules, if any?
5. And really, how many of you think I cheated? Come on... I'm stronger than I look right?

So, if you could shed some light on the rules, that would be great because I think this will become a new game in the Burke house.

On a different note, make your way over to 6660 Poplar Ave(corner of Poplar and Kirby) to the newly renovated Kroger for some great deals and free stuff like :
-Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries for $1.50 each
-California cherries for $2.88 lb.
-USDA choice boneless ribeye steaks for $5.97lb ( We had one tonight and it was great! One is enough for two people with sides)
-Beautiful flowers at various low prices.

And the best part: Free items (about 7) to the first 200 people each day between 4pm and 6pm. Also, just by using your Kroger card, you are automatically entered to win a gift card for $500, $750 and $1000. Given away June 13th, 20th, 27th and July 4th. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE slaps! And I LOVE that you guys played it the other night...hilarious. But something that I feel is essential for the game is the tire that you stand on top of--did you use one??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I don't have comments on the rules except for the chest one: when we play, you have to hold your arms shoulder width apart so that if you miss you push past the person on either side of them....and I think chest pushing should be illegal.

    In Grant's defense, you are freakishly strong...like Monica from friends...you don't look it, but you are!

    ReplyDelete